The cooking technique that is all the rage these days is sous vide (pronunciation – sue-veed). Sous vide is french for “under vacuum”. Earlier it was a well kept secret of the professionals, a cooking technique that makes the best use of precise temperature control to deliver consistent, and the restaurant-quality results that can not be recreated using any other cooking method.. The recent popularity of the technique can be attributed to the availability of inexpensive and easy-to-use sous vide equipment.
Even though the technique sounds extravagant and fancy, it can be done in three easy steps:
Hook your equipment to a deep bottomed vessel filled with water. Set the time and temperature according to the level of doneness you desire. At first it will take some time to experiment and learn the balance between the temperature, time and doneness but until then there are numerous recipes on the internet which you can follow and make yourself a delicious meal.
Next, whatever food you are planning to cook, place it in a food grade sealable bag and clip it to the side of the vessel. Make sure not to overfill the bag, you need to make sure there is a sufficient amount of space left in the bag.
You can finish your meal prep by either roasting, searing or grilling the food to lend it a nice crispy and golden layer.
Benefits of cooking Sous vide
Sous vide cooking brings in a lot of control in your hands which can not be achieved through any conventional method of cooking. With the least amount of effort and time you can whip up consistently delicious food every single time. The flavour and texture of the food is unmatched.
If you are still not convinced, here are four amazing benefits of sous vide cooking
- Consistency – Having complete control over the temperature and time you will have the same flavour and texture each time you make your classic recipes
- Flavour – The food is cooked in its own juices, hence ensuring juicy and tender texture and the best of flavour profile.
- Zero Waste– Conventional techniques dry out food which results in wastage and also reduces the flabou profiles, which is not the case in sous vide cooking as the juices remained intact and the food is cooked in its own juices
- Convenience– Conventional cooking demands you to pay constant attention to the cooking process, stirring and making sure it doesn’t burn but you can be rid of all such worries when it comes to sous vide cooking
Types of Sous Vide Machines
Sous vide equipment have been around for decades but only to be seen in professional kitchens around the globe, the main reasons for their rarity being, the bulkiness, complexity and expensiveness. Even when it became accessible, it largely remained a well kept secret of professional. With the advent of cooking shows and social media, consumers are becoming increasingly knowledgeable about novel cooking techniques.
Here are the three different kinds of machines you can choose from when you are ready to try out Sous Vide Machines
Sous Vide Immersion Circulator
Very much like an immersion blender, instead of blending, you get a restaurant style cooked meal. What the immersion circulator essentially does is that it heats water and circulates it around the pot to maintain precise temperature throughout. They can be attached with any vessel and so you can use it with any vessel you want and they do not take much space.
Sous Vide Water Oven
They are devices that look like microwaves and are more expensive than an immersion circulator. They also take up much space. They heat water but do not circulate the water, which might not yield consistent texture in your food/
Sous vide usage tips
- If you are someone who loves seasoning, you can add spices along with the ingredients you are using in a sealable bag and then drop it in the pot for cooking
- Use food grade or silicon sealable bags or plastic will leak into your food
- Be sure to experiment with ingredients and find out what works for you, having a sous vide journal helps, in which you can note down the exact temperature and time that yielded the texture you loved the best.